Opinion of Kingman's Performance

Monday, December 30, 2013

Bullet Points to Close Out the Year

Interestingly Puig can’t drive twice the speed of 55 without getting caught.  There has been a lot of talk about Yasiel and his lead foot the past two days.  Everything from quotes from his former personal chaperone to the Dodger organization expressing “disappointment” in his actions.  I think the most interesting thing about the entire situation is that his mother was in the car with him.

I’ll just say this, the police would be the last thing I would worry about if I was behind the wheel of a vehicle with my mother inside, while I was driving 110 MPH.  My mom would have never let me hear the end of it.  I’d fear mom’s wrath over that of any policeman or judge, that’s for sure.  Hopefully, Yasiel got the message loud and clear this time and from his momma.

                  *****************************************
(photo by Koji Watanabe/Getty Images)
No news on the Tanaka front, which is probably good.  The Dodgers need to stay tight lipped on this one.  They already saw what running off at the mouth did for them when they were on the verge of signing Kershaw this past year.  It is reported that someone from within the organization leaked the news to the media and Kershaw was more than irked  by the whole thing.  Whoever had the loose lips may have cost the Dodgers $40 or $50 million dollars, because what Kershaw will demand now is a figure far higher than what was being negotiated several months back.

With the D-Backs already tipping their hand and reporting that they are prepared to send representatives to Japan to meet with Tanaka, we are seeing another blunder out of the desert from an organization that is leading the league in mental foibles since the season ended.  Thank goodness Kevin Towers isn’t in the Dodger organization.

             *********************************************

It’s interesting to see the Hall of Fame ballots that are being announced by both BBWAA and !BWAA members the past few days.   Twitter has been running amuck with them.   I can’t remember there ever being so many Hall of Fame worthy players on the ballot.  I’m wondering if we’ll see a record number of inductees this year.  With La Russa, Cox and Torre already in, I can see an additional 7 voted in this year, which would make the induction ceremony about 8 hours long.

My prediction of the inductees for 2014 are:

Greg Maddux
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza
Jack Morris
Tom Glavine
Frank Thomas
Jeff Bagwell



Frank Thomas and his 521 lifetime homers are worthy of Hall of Fame induction)
That would be quite a ceremony and probably something I’d like to attend if possible.  That may actually happen for me this year, as I expect to be back east around the time period of the ceremony, which would be a real special event.  

             ************************************************

Happy birthday to Sandy Koufax who reached number 78 today, and (most importantly) my dear mother, who is 84 today.  Both are healthy and appear to be much better physical shape than I am.

            *************************************************

I work both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day this year.  My 23rd consecutive year passing the New Year in uniform, (and it’s not a baseball uni).  I actually wouldn’t have it any other way.  Just a few more of these until retirement.  Stay safe everyone, and may 2014 be that year in which we are all celebrating in October.

2 comments:

  1. Good HOF choices.

    Not sure how the Tanaka thing will play out. I expect if the Dodgers want him they will pay the price especially since Clayton may not be a lock.

    As for Yasiel, I hope him Momma does call him out and take away the keys for a while. It is not the incident but a repeat incident with three passengers in his car that is of concern. I think it is time to stop making excuses for Yasiel. That is - he is young, experiencing the freedom of America, etc. The laws of the land do apply to him. I personally hope his license is suspended for a period of time. Speeding tickets here result in fines, loss of license for a week and points off the license for a first offense. It takes two years to expunge the record.

    Happy New Year Evan to you and your family. Say hi to Evan Jr. for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year you and the Family Evan. Again I thank you for all you do in uniform !!

    I've said all I'm going to say about Puig on the other sites.

    I almost agre 100% with your HOF predictions. For personal reasons I hope Piazza doesn't make it.

    ReplyDelete