Opinion of Kingman's Performance

Saturday, June 11, 2011

“Diary of the Dodger fan” or “As the Stomach Turns in the Late Innings”

Tony Gwynn Jr. makes his game saving catch to end the game

7:27 PM
I got home from a late day at work to find the blue up 7-1 in the top of the 7th inning.  It’s nice to see another lead.  Do I dare start writing about a potential win, or is it premature?  The bullpen needs to record 9 outs and give up less than 6 runs.  In past years this would be a win 99.99% of the time.  This year, who knows?

8:00 PM
Fast forward 1 inning, and the bullpen and Dodger defense is imploding.  7-6 now in the bottom of the eighth.  I hate everything about Colorado.  And to think that I was considering taking a road trip out there for a weekend series.  Good thing those plans didn’t happen.  This team was doing worse with Broxton as the closer?

8:32 PM
Okay, the topsy turvy world of Dodger baseball has now resulted in a 4-run top of the Dodger ninth, so Javy Guerra comes in to attempt to record the final three outs as the Dodgers lead 11-6.

8:33 PM
Carlos Gonzales leads off with a ground rule double.

8:34 PM
Line drive snagged by Guerra and Cargo is doubled off.  Whew! One out away as Giambi comes to the plate.

8:44 PM
After Giambi, Tulowitski and Wiggington single, (with a run scoring), Spillborghs walks.  Guerra survives by the skin of his teeth thanks to a diving grab by Tony Gwynn Jr. on Blackman’s drive to left that would have scored three runs.  The tying run was at the plate.  Did I mention that I hate Colorado?


So that first comment I made questioning whether the bullpen could hold the Rockies to less than 6 runs and record 9 outs.  The answer again is “no.”   These are sad days indeed.
****************************************************************************

It has been one of those weeks at work where I have been so swamped that I could barely pay any attention to the blog or the Dodgers, which has been a blessing in disguise I think.  
Now I have a weeks vacation starting tonight, with the next 24 hours being a road trip back to SoCal.  Yes, I’ll get back to Dodger Stadium this week and I look forward to stopping by and visiting family and some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment