Opinion of Kingman's Performance

Thursday, December 22, 2011

About Belisario and the Drug Policy...Enforce it, and for EVERYBODY

Ronald Belisario is apparently back and he will have to serve a suspension for violation of MLB’s drug policy.  I get that.  I understand that.  I agree with that.  It should happen.  What I question is:  Why did Tim Lincecum get a pass in 2010 after being arrested and pleading guilty to a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge?


I know that there are many that believe that Marijuana is not a serious drug and using it shouldn’t be a punishable offense.  It appears that MLB has taken the same stance, even though, its use is in violation of the letter of their drug standards which is partially cited below.
“All players are prohibited from using...any and all drugs or substances listed under Schedule II of the Controlled Substances Act are considered drugs of abuse covered by the program,”  (Marijuana is listed)...First failure to comply : 15 to 25 days suspension and/or a fine of up to $10,000.  Conviction of use of prohibited substances: First offense 15-30 day suspension and/or a fine up to $10,000.”
I personally think MLB should act on their policy, no matter the substance used. First because of the message that it sends to the youth following the sport.  In San Francisco, the “Let Timmy Smoke” t-shirts with Marijuana leaf and all is a wrong message to send to kids.  People laugh at it and even Lincecum is known to sign these shirts.  So he essentially is laughing in the face of MLB and their drug policy and isn’t even reprimanded.  Second, inhaling smoke that contains 50 to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke into your lungs with every toke can’t be the message MLB wants to send to fans.   They are banning smokeless tobacco from being seen in dugout and in uniform pockets now.  Why the double standard?

The research is out there, marijuana use is linked to brain deterioration, schizophrenia, anxiety, depression and numerous types of cancer.  It can be argued a million times that marijuana has its positive health effects with regard to glaucoma and pain relief but I’ll not be convinced that a doctor in his right mind would approve of ingesting smoke into the lungs is good for the human body.  So prescribe it in a pill form rather than the smokeable version that mucks up the lungs.
Yes, I’m biased.  I catch drug smugglers for a living and I’ve seen smugglers attempt to harm me and some of my comrades in the process.  Even know of one of my fellow workers run over and killed by a smuggler carrying a trunk load of Marijuana, (leaving a wife and two small children fatherless), so I get a bit offended with the cavalier attitude that much of the populace takes towards the illegal drug (cannabis) when I see guys put their lives on the line to keep it out of the country.  It’s truly a thankless and unappreciated job.

Back to my original point.  Ronald Belisario needs to serve his suspension.  So should Tim Lincecum for his marijuana use in the off-season before 2010.  Additionally, he should be tested weekly because of the past violation.  But that won’t happen either because MLB doesn’t seriously care if its stars are smoking cannabis.  Double standard?  I think so.  Non-star, Jeremy Jeffress currently in the Kansas City organization has faced suspension for marijuana use...but he’s not a Cy Young candidate is he?

I say, "Let Timmy serve his suspension."

No comments:

Post a Comment